Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Back to Exercise

Yesterday was the first day I checked out our new Student Recreation Center at CSUN. Damn that place is huge and awesome. The Gym i work at is a quarter of the size of one of their smaller weight sections. So luckily I can now just run to the gym between classes or if i get out early and yesterday I did just that. Had 3 separate gym sessions, all together yesterday I did a lot of exercise. Sets each consisting of 1 minutes of time under load (meaning my muscles had tension on them the whole time).

8 Sets of Chest Press
6 sets of latpull down
9 sets of rows
7 sets of leg press
4 sets of shoulders
2 sets of incline press.

Yesterday was also no where near what I should have eaten;

4 Scoops Whey Protein (480 calories 96 Protein)
3 oz of Mac's Chicharones (480 calories 54 Protein)
2oz Chicken (90 Calories 18 Protein)
3oz Steak (170 calories 27 Protein)
1 Cup Mushrooms
1/2 Green Pepper
5 Brussel Sprouts
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter (180 calories 7 Protein)

As you can see very low carbs and high protein and moderate fat. Still allowing for carb depletion especially with the type of exercise I had yesterday quite intensive. I sleep amazing, or as I told Austin this morning, I went in a coma for 8 hours.

Not quite as sore as I thought I might be this morning, but later tonight I will be feeling it.

Today I will be eating the same as yesterday, except for the possibility of cutting out the peanut butter, and some other type of fat and protein in place of the chicharones, something with a little more vitamin content.

As for today's exercise, I will be doing an idea marketed by Lyle McDonald and proven to be efficient by his forum and many experiments he has done with clients. It will consist of anywhere between 5-10 minutes of 1-1 minute intervals to cause some more fatigue and lactic acid build up. Then 5 minute rest, then 45 minutes of steady state cardio, preferably resting.

WARNING: this is only of some merit for those under 10% body fat and sometimes doesn't even help until lower than that roughly 7.5% and lower

The fatigue part isn't very important for dieting, and typically interval training would be a horrible idea, hence the short time. The lactic acid build up has some merit here, well not in it of its self, but the effects it has in the body once it is cleared. Once it is cleared the body releases a large amount of Free Fatty Acids or (FFA's) preferentially from 'stubborn fat' (just means there is not much blood flow and typically the body doesn't take much fat from here and only starts too once the other fat stores are low or depleted). Then to expedite the oxidation process I will be performing steady state cardio, but not too intense where I create lactic acid which will blunt the effects that we just tried to set.

Tangentially, just a tip for people trying to lose weight and stay motivated, who you surround yourself with will drastically change the difficulty of losing that weight. Hard to stick to diet, talk with your significant other or whoever you normally eat with and tell them your plans and how hard it is to stay on the bandwagon when you are confronted with tasty fatty food.
Hard to get up in the morning to gym, do the same. Also there is some merit, in having someone text you telling you every time they are at the gym, make it a texting battle, it will definitely help to fuel you

And with that I am done for today, hope something here helped to motivate you, helped you learn something, or even just helped you kill some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment