Monday, January 16, 2012

The Protein Diet (Day 1)-----1/16/12




Today is day one of what we like to call the Protein Diet. What it truly is, is a PSMF, (Protein Sparing Modified Fast). Simply put, its a diet that tricks your body into putting itself into a state that mimics fasting, without truly fasting. The Diet consists of only fibrous vegetables and mounds of protein, oh and you can’t forget the lovely fiber supplements and fish oil pills. However other than that its pretty simple and straight forward. The exercise program is non existent for the lazy people but can be used with a workout plan as well. However when providing a workout plan concurrent with the diet you must be very careful not to do too much exercise because your body simply cannot recover enough on a strict caloric deficit void of any carbohydrates. 
So far today all I’ve had was a cup of coffee and a Cold-eeze because I’m still feeling a bit under the weather. So water medicine and a good ol’ dose of Skyrim and rest along with my food is all i will do today.
I am aiming for somewhere around 260-300 grams of protein today which i need to start eating if Im going to look on completing that amount of protein before bed.
A little background on my diet personality, is I’m a huge proponent of Intermittent fasting, specifically lean gains protocol, by the ‘Cult’ leader Martin Berkhan, I say this jokingly because the followers are starting to become quite like paleo and cross fit fans have become about their ‘institutions’. So for me typically i would eat within a 8-10 hour window, however for this diet i may expand that feeding window and bit and shorten the fasting window since the diet itself will mimic fasting.
Anyway, for those who will follow or who may get inspired I will try to write a quick log of the food I eat and when applicable I will provide a link to my fitocracy page for any workouts I may do, and when I do you will be able to see the vast differences in how much (or how little) I do in comparison to how much I was doing and the differences between rep ranges and sets.
Enjoy!


Edit:
So I finally decided to eat, instead of opting for fish oil pills i just ate 15-20 pieces of left over shrimp two scoops of bcaa's roughly 20grams of bcaa's. Which I look at more like 80 grams of regular protein. Ill explain after. Then went to my chiropractor appt looks like this diet will consist of only cardio and lower body exercise due to my upper back postural problems. Then cooked dinner with my love, in which we made some extra lean ground beef 96/4 egg whites green beans and cilantro along with some cucumbers on the side. I also had a chicken breast on the side as well. For dessert we had 1/2 cup greek yogurt a little more carbs than should be allowed but its all we had so we made due. All in all I ate roughly 200-220 grams of protein today, for not doing any exercise id say it was a decent day.

Reasoning: The reason I look at 20 grams of bcaa's to equal 80 grams of something such as whey protein is based on the amino acid profile of the proteins. When we look at whey protein the amino acid profile is typically 25% bcaa's and 75% are non essential amino acids (meaning they can be synthesized by the body). Now when we look at BCAA's the amino acid profile is naturally 100% bcaa's (duh!)
While the non essential amino acids are important for muscle retention, the bcaa's have a far larger effect on specific markers that increase protein synthesis.

Reasoning#2: After i said i ate 200 grams of protein today and mentioned not doing exercise and it being sufficient is because with more activity your body will need more protein to retain the muscle so for less activity i can get away with less protein and on a diet like this the less eating the better, due to the food being void of fat and carbs is just plain bland and more of a chore than anything else. If you try this diet you find yourself being ok with being hungry rather than having to eat another chicken breast or slice of ham.

Note: it is important to do your homework and look into vegetables with the essential vitamins and make sure you are salting (specifically with a mix of potassium and sodium salt) in order to get a good balance of minerals, or you will find yourself cramping in the middle of the night and really hating life. AND DONT FORGET YOUR FIBER, for reasons i trust you understand.

Edit: Weighed myself mid afternoon at drs office, 176 lbs roughly with clothes on. had shrimp few hours earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment